Thursday, April 17, 2008

The burning truth behind sunscreen: Fewer and fewer people lathering up before hitting sun’s rays

4/17/08

By Mary Wheeler
Special to the Critic


For Maria Guzman, wearing sunscreen is hardly a part of her daily routine.

“I don’t use sunscreen on a daily basis because I forget too. I only really use it when I’m going to the beach or going on vacation, where I’m really exposed to UVB rays,” the 21-year-old New Jersey resident, said. While doctors may frown on this, Guzman is doing something right. “I’m aware of the dangers of the sun, so I don’t go to tanning beds, because of the potential risks of skin cancer and premature aging,” she said.

Guzman isn’t alone. In a 2007 study, conducted by iVillage and The Skin Cancer Foundation, 40 percent of people revealed that they never use sunscreen, with only 11 percent using one with an SPF of 15 or higher on a daily basis.

“I only use sunscreen when I know I’m going to be outside for awhile,” Patrick Boyle, 22, of Vermont, said.

According to The Skin Cancer Foundation, the biggest mistakes people make with sunscreen is using too little and not applying it frequently enough. It’s recommended to use one ounce, (the equivalent of a shot glass), all over exposed body parts, including the neck, lips, and hands.

“Most people who use an SPF 15 get the protection equivalent to a SPF 5 because they put it on too thinly,” Dr. Martin A. Weinstock, a Brown University Professor, and chairman of the American Cancer Society’s skin cancer advisor group, said in a statement to MSNBC.

In 2008, approximately 62,000 people will be diagnosed with melanoma, a deadly cancer that starts in the melanocytes skin cells, which contributed to 8,100 deaths in 2007, according to the American Cancer Society.

The most effective way to detect melanoma is to look for changes in skin growths. Melanoma generally starts out as small-mole like growth, but overtime it increases in size and changes colors, according to the American Cancer Society. A fair complexion, family history, and a weak immune system are other contributing factors to this cancer.

With so many products out on the market, how do you know which sunscreen is right for you? Experts say to look for products that contain zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, and are water-resistant. Also choose a sunscreen that has a broad-spectrum label (which protects against both UVA and UVB rays) with an SPF of 15 or higher.

Guzman knows at some point in her life she will start a sunscreen habit, just not now. “I will eventually start using sunscreen, because as you get older, it starts to take an effect on your skin,” she says. “If you see someone who spent a lot of time in the sun, you can see how weathered their skin is, and I don’t want to look like that. I don’t see those effects now, but I know I will in the future.”

Boyle on the other hand, isn’t concerned about the various warnings made by doctors about the dangers of the sun. “I don’t really think I need to wear sunscreen daily, he says. “If I had skin cancer running in my family, I would, but as of now, I don’t.”

Not looking to hibernate inside this summer? The Mayo Clinic offers some helpful tips to protect yourself this summer:
-Avoid tanning beds and sun lamps: Tanning beds emit UVA rays that studies have shown may be just as, if not more dangerous than UVB rays from the natural sun. UVA rays go deeper into the skin, resulting in a higher chance of getting premature aging, and precancerous skin lesions.
-Avoid being in the direct sunlight for too long: Especially between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. when the sun’s rays are the strongest. Think that a cloudy day makes you immune to the sun? Think again. Even on dark or rainy days, you’re still absorbing radiation.
-Cover yourself: While this may be difficult in the summer, when possible, wear clothing that covers your arms and legs, as well as a wide-brimmed hat.

No comments: