Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Dean of Mailroom retires

Photo by Ryan Bennie Lee3/27/08

Catherine Story
Business Manager


Harry Swett takes pride in having a good attitude.

“Thanks for paying my bills,” said Swett “If it wasn’t for students I wouldn’t have a job.”

Harry Swett has passion for the students on campus. His son was a LSC sophomore when he was killed in a snow machine accident.

“That’s when I really realized how good the people here are,” Swett said. “I have met some of the kindest nicest people I have ever met in my life.”

Swett has been working at LSC for just under 17 years. He will be retiring on May 18

“I get to graduate from the college mailroom,” Swett said.

Harry Swett spends a lot of time laughing in the mailroom. He grinned for the camera wearing fake teeth covered in bling.

“Sometimes if I know a student is coming I’ll put my hand in their mailbox and when they open it I’ll try to grab them,” Swett said.

Photo by Catherine Story“Humor is the grease that keeps the wheel of life turning,” Swett said

“They’re a great student, good attitude,” Swett said pointing to a fake rate he had put in a students mailbox.

“This job has allowed me to be a real good spectator of the next generation,” Swett said. “It’s been so nice to see kids come in as kids and grow up to be mature adults.”

Swett had some comments about troubles he had with the way LSC has changed.

“We are more than a business,” Swett said. “I don’t think students get what they deserve.”

“We are so much becoming a big business rather than caring about people,” Swett said. “If it wasn’t for students none of us would have jobs.”

Swett talked about students who needed help not being able to find the outlets to get it on campus.

“I see a huge disconnect going on,” Swett said “There are three big areas of communication, phones, e-mail and the mailroom.”

“Students aren’t using any of them,” Swett said. “I see that as a big issue.”

Swett was also interested in making a place on campus for people to sit and meditate or pray or simply reflect.

“Life happens, death happens, there is all kinds of stress,” Swett said. “Having a place to go that is private will benefit everyone.”

Swett calls this proposed room the reflection room to avoid being politically incorrect.

Swett has worked in many fields in his life. He worked at the Fairbanks in St Johnsbury, a paper mill, he sold life insurance and he worked for GE in Burlington.

It was at GE that Swett met his wife of almost 38 years.

Swett finally ended up at Northeast tool where he was laid off one week short of a year.

That’s when he started putting in applications. What was suppose to be a temporary job as a janitor progressed in just a few short months into a full time position as the mailroom supervisor.

No comments: