Thursday, October 16, 2008

Adderall

By Dave Lapham, Jillian Grenier, Derika Downing
Special to the Critic


Students look to a drug to aid studying.

Coffee is no longer enough; too much homework and stress is making college students across the country turn to the drug Adderall for that extra burst of energy they need.

The prescription drug Adderall is made for people with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and is not only illegal to take without a prescription but is also unsafe if not taken correctly. It consists of amphetamines that stimulate the central nervous system. The drug is commonly prescribed to those diagnosed with ADHD, and is used to increase levels of norepinephrine, serotonin and dopamine in the brain. Students around campus who admit to taking the drug illegally talked openly about the subject but asked to not be identified.

“I remember a bunch of my girlfriends and I started using adderall recreationally, and that made it so we could drink all night,” an 09 female said. “I would get up and bump one in the morning before class to help me get through [the day] after a night of drinking.”

Many college students find solace in the drug because it eliminates drowsiness, supports them in their all night drinking endeavors, and helps them concentrate in those few moments before a big exam or heavily weighted essays.

Not all students use the drug to facilitate all-night drinking binges. Some Lyndon State College Students are no strangers to staying up all hours of the night on Adderall so they can study or complete a homework assignment. “It just helps me focus and get my work done,” one source said. “It just makes me want to do my homework.”

Though Adderall may seem like a miracle drug enabling students to party and study hard, there are many side affects that result from abusing the drug, such as nervousness, lack of appetite, depression, inability to sleep, dry mouth, and rapid heartbeat which can then lead to death or serious side effects on the heart.

When asked if they were worried about the side effects that Adderall can cause, it seemed that they already knew. One source said “Sometimes I get scared when my heart beats too fast. I feel like I’m going to have a heart attack.”

“It is highly addictive. It made it so I didn’t want to eat. It was never hard to find a dealer. Most of the time it would come in a little capsule and if you break it there are little white beads inside. I would ingest it and 20 minutes later I got a big boost of energy,” said the 09 female.

“I think it is risky,” said Miriam Simon, a physician’s assistant. “Adderall is potentially dangerous and there is a great concern. There are many side effects including: heart disease, heart attacks, high blood pressure, insomnia, and weight loss.”

Obtaining the drug is not necessarily that difficult; many times students are able to buy some pills from a person who has been prescribed the drug. According to a few different sources, the price of Adderall on campus can go anywhere from $3 to $9 a pill, depending on how much the person with the prescription wants to charge for it, which can be quite a lot, because they have the same customers coming back due to how addictive the drug is.

“When we prescribe the drug I have no control over diversion. We don’t know if it will be sold to other people,” Simon said.

No comments: