Thursday, February 14, 2008

The truth about living off campus

2/13/08

Catherine Story
Business Manager


Living off campus has its perks and it’s downfalls for LSC students.

“I learned a lot about how to behave if I don’t want to get anything done,” Nate Puza, a ski resort management major, said. “We had a lot of parties.”

Puza, a senior, lived in two dorms on the LSC campus Crevecour and Rita bole. He has lived off campus for two years.

“I was a little too old to have so many rules,” Puza said. “I didn’t need someone breathing down my neck about a 6 pack in my room.”

Sometimes living off campus is not all fun and games.

“I have missed school because I didn’t feel like driving,” Puza said. “Then again I’ve missed school to go fishing.”

“When the weather is crappy it’s a pain,” Puza said.

“It’s also hard to remember to go grocery shopping, “ Puza said. “I’ve been eating a lot healthier. I just love having a kitchen. Cooking is something I love.”

A group of students have moved in just down the street from campus in an apartment they call “Shredville”.

“It’s awesome I feel so free,” Ryan Brainard, a ski resort management major, said.

“I live with a bunch of gnarly kids who like to shred.”

Each student living in “Shredville” pays $275 which includes heat and water.

“It’s cheaper,” Brainard said. “I didn’t like Public Safety and I wanted my own room.”

Another themed home off campus is called the Slanty-Shanty.

“We call our place the Slanty-Shanty because the foundation is really bad,” Joe Mula, a senior recreation major said.

“The floors are warped,” Mula said. “All of the support beams are supported by car jacks.”

There are four jacks holding up the floors.

“If we feel the floor needs to be adjusted we just jack it up a little.” Mula said.

The Slantsy-Shanty is in West Burke which can be a hike from the Lyndon state campus on winter days.

“Driving to campus is kind of a hassle when the roads are bad,” Mula said “It’s hard having to drive from parties.”

“It’s also hard having to pay for oil,” Mula said.

Even if the house is slanty there are perks to being off campus.

“You can have a girl over without asking your roommate to leave,” Mula said. “You can also cook your own means instead of eating Aramark.

“I like not having to worry about breaking any rules like no lighting candles,” Mula said.

No comments: